1 500 000 CZK
| 60 000 €
This Mannerist six-arm chandelier continues the superior artisanship of Gothic chandeliers produced in southern Holland and southern Germany in the 15th century. Madonna and Child are at the top; six arms with angels holding candles radiate out from the center. It is compared with one of the most well-known examples from this period located in a parish church in Stans, Switzerland. However, the figurative decoration dates it to the Late Renaissance in Germany. The beautiful rounded elements and dynamic drapery in the Virgin Mary's cloak are reminiscent of southern German goldsmith work from the 16th century. The extravagantly modeled angels' wings contrast with the stylized Gothic figures. The decoration of the chandelier arms also recalls the design of an exceptional Nuremberg chandelier by Late Renaissance goldsmith Christoph Jamnitzer from 1610 (now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, inv. no. 2012.136.728). Provenance: Monastery in Lower Austria; Collection of Dr. Albert Figdor, Vienna, until 1930 Georg Kronenbitter, until 1968 Kunsthandlung Julius Böhler, 1968 Prof. Dr. Joachim Wetsger, Berlin Sotheby's London, 10 December 2004 private collection, Oslo, Norway. Published in the catalogue Die Sammlung Dr. A. Figdor (1843-1927), Vienna, volume 1, 1930.